With the same 11m carbon construction as the S-Works, the Specialized Men's Stumpjumper ST Comp Carbon 29 Disc Mountain Bike brings you transcendent handling, custom-tuned suspension, and an elimination of proprietary headaches--all while keeping the speed you look for with 29-inch wheels. And don't forget that with its 'ST' distinction, this Stumpjumper gets slightly steeper angles and less suspension (130mm front/120mm rear), so you get more nimble and responsive climbing ability and sublime descending prowess.
The design goal for the new Stumpjumper was simple--build the ultimate trail bike, one that feels telepathic. And it turns out that this feeling all comes down to stiffness. Think of it this way: when the frame's telling your hands one thing and your feet another, your brain gets confused with the imbalance and the bike feels unstable. In order to fix this, Specialized had to get to work on dialing-in the materials, shapes, and the layout.
Specialized started by creating their own mountain-specific stiffness test, and then they looked at the layout with Finite Element Analysis (FEA) to see where they could get the biggest stiffness improvements. This led to a big discovery: The Large and X-Large frames needed more front-end stiffness while the Smalls and Mediums were just fine. They were able to create a frame design that was 20% more efficient. And in the end, this proved to be one of the lightest trail frames on the market, today.
When designing the frame with the stiffness targets being a main goal, Specialized developed a radical new sidearm design. The front-end and rear-end are connected at three points, and the sidearm helps keep all these points super stiff and connected, all while taking about 100 grams out of the rear-end. More explicitly, this minimizes frame flex when the rear suspension is active.
Specialized continued down the suspension path with a custom Rx Trail Tune on both the fork and rear shock. Suspension performance is highly dependent on frame, wheel, and rider size, so they use Rx Tune to get each bike to land in the middle of the adjustment spectrum, and this gives you the biggest possible range to fine-tune your ride. Another focal point of the tune was matching the suspension characteristics between wheel sizes-- Specialized developed a specific Rx Tune for each platform. So, no matter what wheel size you prefer, you'll get perfectly linear suspension.
Steps were also taken to make this bike easy to live with. Threaded bottom brackets make a triumphant return, and there's room for up to a 3.0' tire. You're also free to run whatever aftermarket rear shock you want, since it comes with standard metric shocks. The SWAT™ box has been revamped, too, making it sleeker, lighter, and with more volume. And customization is furthered with a Flip Chip that lets you to dial-in your Stumpy to your riding style. Switch it from High to Low and it drops your bottom bracket 6mm and slackens the head tube by half-a-degree. Little details also jump out to surprise you, like a newly designed ribbed chainstay protector that makes chain slap a thing of the past and nearly silences the drivetrain. Lastly, the cable routing seriously couldn't be made any easier on carbon models. Full tubes can be found throughout the carbon frame, so all you have to do is push the cable and it'll come out the other end. No more lazy loop, hidden stashes of magnets, pokey spokes, or pillows to cry in.
The build on this Comp model comes with a list of components that deliver undeniable quality, like a Shimano XT/SLX drivetrain with RaceFace cranks, Shimano SLX disc brakes, a FOX FLOAT Rhythm 34 for with 130mm of travel, a FOX FLOAT DPS rear shock with 120mm of travel, and Roval Traverse 29 wheels.
- The Stumpjumper ST's asymmetrical, FACT 11m carbon fiber construction is lightweight, stiff, and ready for technical climbs and rowdy descents. It's built off of 29 Trail Geometry, so it's both capable and comfortable. And with SWAT™ integration in the down tube, a threaded BB, easy cable routing, and a brand-new chain silencer, it's ready for anything the trail, or you, throw at it.
- The FOX DPS Performance rear shock features a Rx Trail Tune, ensuring that no matter the frame or wheel size, your bike is dialed-in perfectly.
- A FOX 34 Rhythm fork handles suspension duties up front with stiff stanchions and plenty of adjustability.
- CHAIN - KMC X11, 11-speed w/ Missing Link™
- BOTTOM BRACKET - Threaded BB, 24mm spindle
- CRANKSET - RaceFace Aeffect, 24mm spindle, 170mm crankarm
- SHIFT LEVERS - Shimano SLX, 11-speed
- CASSETTE - Shimano SLX, 11-speed, 11-46t
- CHAINRINGS - 30T
- REAR DERAILLEUR - Shimano XT, Shadow Plus, GS cage, 11-speed
- FORK - FOX FLOAT Rhythm 34, GRIP Damper, 51mm offset, 2-position sweep adjust, 15x110mm, tapered alloy steerer, 130mm of travel
- REAR SHOCK - FOX FLOAT DPS Performance, Rx Trail Tune, rebound and 3-position compression adjust, 190x42.5MM
- FRONT HUB - Specialized, sealed cartridge bearings, 15x110mm spacing, 28h
- REAR HUB - Specialized, sealed cartridge bearings, 12x148mm thru-axle, 28h
- INNER TUBES - Presta, 40mm valve
- SPOKES - DT Swiss Industry
- RIMS - Roval Traverse 29, hookless alloy, 29mm inner width, tubeless ready, 28h
- FRONT TIRE - Butcher, GRID Casing, GRIPTON® compound, 2Bliss Ready, 29x2.3"
- REAR TIRE - Purgatory, GRID casing, GRIPTON® compound, 2Bliss Ready, 29x2.3"
- SADDLE - Body Geometry Phenom Comp, Adaptive Edge design, hollow Cr-Mo rails, 143mm
- SEATPOST - X-Fusion Manic, infinite adjustable, two-bolt head, bottom mount cable routing, remote SRL LE lever, 34.9mm, S: 125mm, M/L/XL: 150mm of travel
- STEM - Specialized Trail, 3D forged alloy, 4-bolt, 6-degree rise
- HANDLEBARS - Specialized, 6061 alloy, 6-degree upsweep, 8-degree backsweep, 27mm rise, 780mm width
- GRIPS - Specialized Sip Grip, half-waffle, S/M: regular thickness, L/XL: XL thickness
- FRONT BRAKE - Shimano SLX, hydraulic disc, resin pads, 200mm rotor
- REAR BRAKE - Shimano SLX, Hydraulic Disc, Resin Pad
- PEDALS - Specialized Dirt
- SEAT BINDER - Specialized bolt-type, alloy, 38.6mm
- FRAME - FACT 11m, full carbon chassis and rear end, asymmetrical design, 29 Trail Geometry, SWAT™ Door integration, threaded BB, fully enclosed internal cable routing, 12x148mm dropouts, sealed cartridge bearing pivots, replaceable derailleur hanger, 120mm of travel