Narrowing down a bike that can do it all used to be tough going. Sure, some work well as a road bike and a 'cross bike, while others are good at commuting and some short road riding, but until the Specialized Men's Diverge E5 Comp Disc Cyclocross Bicycle, nothing out there was astute at every kind of riding subject.
The Diverge E5 Comp, however, is made for exploring new roads, commuting to class, and everything in between. It redefines what a road bike can do, so ride wherever you want--this bike doesn't take "no" for an answer. The Diverge is more capable than ever. And with the constant goal to best meet your needs, Specialized took your number one request into account--tire clearance. The new frame will comfortably fit up to 700x38mm tires with plenty of room for mud, too. Along with tire clearance, weight was a large factor in the development, and taking some design cues from the development of the Roubaix, Specialized developed an E5 Premium Aluminum frame that's plenty light, certainly stiff for hard efforts, and undeniable tough.
Next up, Specialized moved away from a traditional 'cross geometry, instead opting for something that hasn't been seen before--Open Road Geometry. You can think of it as a road version of modern trail bike geometry. It provides playful handling and predictable steering for endless dirt skids and mid-corner drifts. The geo features a bottom bracket that's over a half-centimeter lower than the previous Diverge, a slacked-out head tube angle, short chainstays, and a short wheelbase. These changes make for a bike that's not only fun in the dirt, but also performs well on the road.
And while riding gravel and dirt roads on a road bike may add to the adventure, there's only so much that wider tires with lower pressures can absorb, in terms of bumps. With this in mind, Specialized implemented a new version of their Future Shock into the Diverge design. It not only soaks up bumps with ease, but also adds the benefit of extremely predictable handling. That's because the wheelbase isn't lengthening when you hit a bump, so the front end of the Diverge keeps the same effective head tube angle. In other words, when you dive hard into a turn, you won't be surprised by under-steer or sloppy handling. Unlike the original Future Shock (found on the Roubaix), the Diverge's version features a progressive spring that makes this technology more suitable for off-road applications, where stiffer suspension is often needed to soak-up larger bumps and obstacles.
Adding to its multifaceted talents, Specialized topped it off with three water bottle mounts, plus mounts for racks and fenders. For the spec, it was imperative that it shifted crisply and braked smoothly mile after mile, so you'll find a crisp and reliable Shimano 105 groupset, hassle-free Tektro Spyre mechanical disc brakes, and an Axis Sport Disc wheelset.
- Premium E5 Aluminum frameset features comfortable and confident Open Road Geometry, Future Shock Progressive suspension with 20mm of travel, and front/rear thru-axles, making it the ultimate tool for your next adventure.
- The lightweight FACT carbon fork is plenty stiff, aiding in handling and a light overall weight.
- With Shimano 105 taking the reins on shifting, you'll experience crisp shifts for years to come.
- BOTTOM BRACKET - Praxis, Threaded bearings
- CHAIN - KMC X11 EL, 11-speed w/ Missing Link™
- CRANKSET - Praxis Alba M30
- SHIFT LEVERS - Shimano 105 R7000, 11-speed
- FRONT DERAILLEUR - Shimano 105
- CASSETTE - Shimano 105, 11-speed, 11-34t
- CHAINRINGS - 48/32T
- REAR DERAILLEUR - Shimano 105 R7000, long cage, 11-speed
- FORK - Specialized FACT carbon, flat-mount disc, 12x100mm thru-axle
- SADDLE - Body Geometry Toup© Sport, steel rails, 143mm
- SEAT BINDER - Diverge rack-mount seat collar
- TAPE - Specialized S-Wrap
- SEATPOST - Alloy, 2-bolt Clamp, 12mm offset, 27.2mm, anti-corrosion hardware
- HANDLEBARS - Specialized Shallow Drop, 6061, 70x125mm, 31.8mm clamp
- STEM - Specialized, 3D-forged alloy, 4-bolt, 6-degree rise
- WHEELS & TIRES
- REAR WHEEL - Axis Sport Disc
- INNER TUBES - Presta valve, 48mm
- FRONT TIRE - Espoir Sport Reflect, 60 TPI, wire bead, double BlackBelt protection, 700x30mm
- REAR TIRE - Espoir Sport Reflect, 60 TPI, wire bead, double BlackBelt protection, 700x30mm
- FRONT WHEEL - Axis Sport Disc
- FRONT BRAKE - Tektro Spyre Mechanical disc Brake, 160mm
- REAR BRAKE - Tektro Spyre Mechanical disc Brake, 160mm
- PEDALS - Nylon, 105x78x28mm, loose ball w/reflectors
- FRAME - Specialized E5 Premium Aluminum, Future Shock Progressive suspension, 20mm of travel, threaded bottom bracket 12x142mm thru-axle, flat-mount disc