Lighter, faster, better handling -- the Specialized Women's Epic Hardtail Comp Carbon Disc Mountain Bike is changing XC hardtails in a major way. Even better, it plays host to tons of women's-specific components and a custom shock tune that's ideal for lighter riders.
Tipping the scales around 1175 grams, it's one of the lightest mountain bike frames Specialized has ever made. And to do so, Specialized built the entire frame from superlative FACT 11m carbon fiber that, until recently, was reserved for the top echelon of Specialized mountain bikes. And with that done, they took some cues from their road bikes.
Specialized borrowed the Rider-First Engineered concept that originated with the Tarmac. Now, the frame design applies specificity to every tube size and carbon layup for every frame size. This creates the optimal balance of rigidity, weight, and responsiveness, so every frame, regardless of size, performs just as intended. Specialized also tweaked the geometry for more speed and stability by slacking-out the head tube angle, lengthening the top tube, and correcting the seat tube angle. This way, it feels more planted than ever, and frankly, it's stupid fast. Specialized also widened the rear spacing to 12x148mm and included internal split-housing cable routing.
For the build, this Epic hits right on the money, opting for a custom-tuned RockShox Reba RL fork, SRAM GX 1x11 shifting, and ridiculously fast Roval Control alloy wheels. Every touch point has been hand-selected for female riders, as well, from the Sip Grips, to the bar width and crankarm length, all the way down to the superlative Women's Myth Sport saddle.
- By pairing a women's-specific FACT 11m carbon fiber frame with XC 29 Geometry, this Epic HT places a focus on precise tube angles and extremely light overall weight for explosive speed and nimble handling on the race circuit. For good measure, it has 148mm rear spacing and all-new triangulated post-mount brake mounts.
- A custom RockShox Reba RL 29 fork offers up 80-100mm of smooth travel, while an easily accessible compression and rebound adjusts permit you to customize the feel according to the terrain at hand. Lastly, this fork has received a custom Women's Rx Tune for even better performance.
- One-by 11-speed shifting is provided by a durable SRAM GX component spec.
- Frame - Specialized FACT 11m, XC Geometry, internal split-housing cable routing, PF30 BB, 12x148mm rear end, triangulated post-mount 160mm brake
- Fork - RockShox Reba RL 29, custom Women's Rx Tune, Solo Air, 51mm offset, 15x110mm thru-axle (XS: 80mm, S: 90mm, M-L: 100mm of travel)
- Front Axle - 15x110mm thru-axle
- Rea Axle - 12x148mm
- Rims/Wheels - Roval Control 29, hookless alloy, 22mm internal width, tubeless-ready
- Front Tire - Fast Trak, GRIPTON compound, 29x2.3", 60 TPI, Aramid folding bead, 2Bliss Ready
- Rear Tire - Fast Trak, GRIPTON compound, 29x2.1", 60 TPI, Aramid folding bead, 2Bliss Ready
- Crankset - Raceface Aeffect
- Chainrings - Steel, 28T
- Bottom Bracket - RaceFace PF30
- Chain - KMC X11, 11-speed w/ Missing Link
- Rear Derailleur - SRAM GX, long cage, 11-speed
- Cassette/Rear Cogs - SRAM XG 1150, 11-speed, 10-42t
- Shifters - SRAM GX, trigger, 11-speed
- Handlebars - Specialized Mini-rise, 6000 alloy, 8-degree backsweep, 6-degree upsweep, 10mm rise, 720mm width, 31.8mm clamp
- Tape/Grips - Specialized Sip Grip
- Stem - Specialized XC, 3D-forged alloy, 4-bolt, 6-degree rise
- Brake Levers Front - SRAM Level TL, hydraulic disc, organic pads, 160/180mm rotor
- Rear Brake Levers - SRAM Level TL, hydraulic disc, organic pads, 160 rotor
- Saddle - Myth Sport, steel rails, 155mm
- Seat Post - Specialized, alloy, single bolt, 27.2mm