The Specialized Men's Tarmac Expert Road Bike may be the optimal bike for winning a Grand Tour, but chances are, you're not going to be competing in Southern France this season. But when you need a bike that's ready to annihilate the competition on your training rides and local races, the new Tarmac Expert is pretty damn hard to beat.
For the construction, Specialized utilized advanced aerospace composite optimization software to revolutionize the construction and layup of new FACT 10r carbon. It's the most advanced material and schedule Specialized has ever made--the shape, schedule, and material optimization allowed Specialized to shed nearly 200 grams. That's right, a 20% reduction in frame weight--the perfect recipe for your next hill climb PR.
Specialized started by further improving their Rider-First Engineered™ technology to ensure that the new Tarmac is stiff and compliant in exactly the right places, all while shedding some serious weight. With this revamp, the geometry was also updated--basing it on countless Retül data points and professional rider input. This enabled Specialized to develop a performance road geometry that perfects the combination of a responsive front end and short wheelbase, delivering instantaneous response and optimal power transfer.
And while stiffness aids in the aforementioned, compliance must also be utilized for an optimal ride quality. That's why Specialized designed a seatpost that builds compliance into the upper 120mm where clamping doesn't happen, dropped the seatstays, and altered the seat tube shape. There's also tire clearance up to 30mm, which translates to a 28mm Turbo Cotton on a Roval SLX 24 rim. This allows lower pressures for decreased rolling resistance, increased traction, and more comfort. Altogether, these additions still have the Tarmac riding like a true race-machine, but just takes a bit of the sting out of those road imperfections. You'll be thankful for that on your next long ride.
And while this is all great, aerodynamics is the most important thing that can be done to make you faster. Both Specialized Bora-Hansgrohe and Team Quick Step Floors Pro Tour riders, after all, are demanding aero improvements on every bike. With this, the aero goal was to discover where aero could essentially be added for free, by not taking anything away from the hallmarks of the Tarmac design. During the six-month iterative process, three areas were discovered where this could be done--a new fork shape, dropped seatstays with aero tubes, and a d-shaped seatpost and seat tube. The result? A bike that's approximately 45 seconds faster over 40km compared to other lightweight bikes in the same category. A speed savings that you'll feel when you're attacking off the front of the peloton.
This new Tarmac comes ready to race out of the box, featuring a crisp Shimano Ultegra 8000 groupset, resplendent Roval SLX 24 alloy rims laced to DT Swiss hubs, the fastest S-Works Turbo 26mm tires, and a sublime Toup© Expert Gel saddle.
- The FACT 10r carbon frame combines the lightweight performance and compliance of top-end carbon production methods with Rider-First Engineered™ design that ensures every frame size has the same legendary climbing responsiveness and descending prowess you'd expect from a Tarmac.
- S-Works full FACT carbon fork with a tapered construction provides incredible front end stiffness and steering response for instantaneous accelerations and high-speed descents.
- The 11-speed Shimano Ultegra 8000 shifting is extremely reliable, lightweight, and precise.
- BOTTOM BRACKET - Praxis BB30 w/ Shimano conversion adaptor
- CHAIN - Shimano Ultegra, 11-speed
- CRANKSET - Shimano Ultegra R8000
- SHIFT LEVERS - Shimano Ultegra 8000, 11-speed
- FRONT DERAILLEUR - Shimano Ultegra 8000, braze-on
- CASSETTE - Shimano Ultegra 8000,11-speed, 11-30t
- CHAINRINGS - 52/36T
- REAR DERAILLEUR - Shimano Ultegra 8000, 11-speed
- REAR WHEEL - Roval SLX 24 Rims, DT Swiss 350 hubs, DT Swiss Competition spokes, 24h
- INNER TUBES - 66mm alloy tubeless valve
- FRONT TIRE - S-Works Turbo, 120 TPI, folding bead, BlackBelt protection, 700x26mm
- REAR TIRE - S-Works Turbo, 120 TPI, folding bead, BlackBelt protection, 700x26mm
- FRONT WHEEL - Roval SLX 24 Rims, DT Swiss 350 hubs, DT Swiss Competition spokes, 20h
- SADDLE - Toupe Expert Gel, 143mm, hollow titanium rails, Adaptive Edge
- TAPE - S-Wrap w/ Sticky gel
- SEATPOST - S-Works FACT Carbon Tarmac seatpost, 20mm offset
- HANDLEBARS - Specialized Expert Shallow Drop, alloy, 123x75mm
- STEM - Specialized Pro SL, alloy, 4-bolt
- FRONT BRAKE - Shimano Ultegra 8010 direct mount
- REAR BRAKE - Shimano Ultegra 8010 direct mount
- PEDALS - Nylon, 105x78x28mm, loose balls w/ reflectors
- SEAT BINDER - Tarmac SL6 clamp assembly
- FORK - S-Works FACT carbon
- FRAME - Specialized Tarmac SL6, FACT 10r carbon, Rider-First Engineered™, OSBB, clean routing, internally integrated seat clamp, 130mm rear spacing