With the Specialized Men's Diverge E5 Sport Disc Cyclocross Bicycle, you'll be prepared for anything, from smooth tarmac to the loosest, roughest tracks out there. It's packed with all the same technologies as its pricier cousins, only its spec places an emphasis on reliable performance, not components so flashy you'll be eating nothing but top ramen for months.
With a completely redesigned frame, the new Diverge is more capable than ever. And with the constant goal to best meet your needs, Specialized took your number one request into account--tire clearance. The new frame will comfortably fit up to 700x38mm tires with plenty of room for mud, too. Along with tire clearance, weight was a large factor in the development, and taking some design cues from the development of the Roubaix, Specialized developed an E5 Premium Aluminum frame that's plenty light, certainly stiff for hard efforts, and undeniable durable.
Next up, Specialized moved away from a traditional 'cross geometry, instead opting for something that hasn't been seen before--Open Road Geometry. We know what you're thinking, "it's just another marketing term," but for the Diverge, Specialized truly did develop an entirely new geometry. With a touch less hyperbole, you can think of it as a road version of modern trail bike geometry. It provides playful handling and predictable steering for endless dirt skids and mid-corner drifts. The geo features a bottom bracket that's over a half-centimeter lower than the previous Diverge, a slacked-out head tube angle, short chainstays, and a short wheelbase. These changes make for a bike that's not only fun in the dirt, but also performs well on the road.
And while riding gravel and dirt roads on a road bike may add to the adventure, there's only so much that wider tires with lower pressures can absorb, in terms of bumps. With this in mind, Specialized implemented a new version of their Future Shock into the Diverge design. It not only soaks up bumps with ease, but also adds the benefit of extremely predictable handling. That's because the wheelbase isn't lengthening when you hit a bump, so the front end of the Diverge keeps the same effective head tube angle. In other words, when you dive hard into a turn, you won't be surprised by under steer or sloppy handling. Unlike the original Future Shock, the Diverge's version features a progressive spring that makes this technology more suitable for off-road applications, where stiffer suspension is often needed to soak-up larger bumps and obstacles.
To add to its multi-faceted talents, Specialized topped the new Diverge off with three water bottle mounts, and mounts for racks and fenders,-so while it's one of the most fun bikes you'll ever shred fire roads on, it's equally adept at bike packing, commuting, or even a spin to your local brewery. The spec, meanwhile, hits right on the money with a sturdy Shimano Sora groupset, hassle-free mechanical disc brakes, and a strong Axis Sport wheelset.
- Premium E5 aluminum frameset features comfortable, yet confidence-inspiring, Open Road Geometry. Front & rear thru-axles are also included, making this Diverge the ultimate tool for your next adventure.
- The lightweight FACT carbon fork is plenty stiff, aiding in handling, rigidity, and an overall light weight.
- The Praxis Alba 2D is an incredibly stiff crankset with supreme ramping for precise shifts between the rings.
- CHAIN - KMC X9, 9-speed w/ Missing Link™
- CRANKSET - Praxis Alba 2d
- SHIFT LEVERS - Shimano Sora
- FRONT DERAILLEUR - Shimano Sora, braze-on
- CASSETTE - Sunrace, 9-speed, 11-32t
- CHAINRINGS - 48/32T
- REAR DERAILLEUR - Shimano Sora, long cage, 9-speed
- FORK - Specialized FACT carbon, flat-mount disc, 12x100mm thru-axle
- SADDLE - Body Geometry Toup© Sport, steel rails, 143mm
- SEAT BINDER - Alloy rack mount seat collar, 31.8mm
- TAPE - Specialized S-Wrap
- SEATPOST - Alloy, 2-bolt clamp
- HANDLEBARS - Specialized Shallow Drop, 6061, 70x125mm, 31.8mm clamp
- STEM - Specialized, 3D forged alloy, 4-bolt, 7-degree rise
- WHEELS & TIRES
- REAR WHEEL - Axis Sport Disc
- INNER TUBES - 700x28/38mm, 48mm Presta valve
- FRONT TIRE - Espoir Sport, 60 TPI, wire bead, double BlackBelt protection, 700x30mm
- REAR TIRE - Espoir Sport, 60 TPI, wire bead, double BlackBelt protection, 700x30mm
- FRONT WHEEL - Axis Sport Disc
- FRONT BRAKE - Tektro Mira, flat mount, mechanical disc
- REAR BRAKE - Tektro Mira, flat mount, mechanical disc
- PEDALS - Nylon, 105x78x28mm, loose balls w/ reflectors
- FRAME - Specialized E5 Premium Aluminum, Open Road Geometry, threaded BB, 12x142mm thru-axle, flat mount disc